Preparing for Your Move
One to two months before moving
- Call AMJ Campbell for a free estimate.
- Have a garage sale.
- Fill out change of address forms.
- Make any necessary travel arrangements if going to a new city.
- Transfer memberships in churches, clubs, and civic organizations.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays, and prescription histories.
- Ask doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
- Decide how you are going pay for your move; credit card, cash, or certified cheque.
- Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding homebased businesses, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they’re packed, in the event you need to make an insurance claim later.
- If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings.
- Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
- Make arrangements for transporting pets.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.
Two to four weeks before moving
- Switch utility services to new address.
- Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone, and cable companies of your move.
- Arrange for help on moving day.
- Have another garage sale.
- Confirm travel reservations.
- Reserve elevator if moving from an apartment.
- Have appliances serviced for moving (speak to your Moving Consultant).
- Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
- Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
- Collect valuables from safe-deposit box.
- Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
- Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Place deodoriser inside to control odours.
- Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.
- Double check closets, shelves, attic, and garage to be sure they are empty.
- Carry important documents, currency, and jewelry yourself.
For Long Distance Moves
- Ensure movers have all your destination details; exchange phone numbers & email addresses etc.
- Before you leave town, contact the moving company and ask for the final Weight & Charges.
After arriving at your new home
- renew your driver’s license and auto registration.
- Contact the Destination Agent to get an update as to where the driver is and confirm delivery date.
- Shop around for new insurance policies, especially auto coverage.
- Revise your will and other legal papers to avoid longer probate and higher legal fees.
- Locate the hospitals, police stations, veterinarian, and fire stations near your home.