Helpful Moving Tools
AMJ Campbell International
Whether it is having our high-quality moving materials delivered to your door or help with getting established in your new home overseas, we have many tools and resources to help manage your move with peace of mind. Ask about how we can help you with:
- Orientation & settling-in services
- Handyman & valet Services
- Cleaning services
- Electrical Services
- Piano Moving Services
- Safe Moving Services
- Crating Services
Helpful tips prior to the Move
- Clean off all soil & debris from outdoor furniture, planters, shoes, sporting equipment, bikes
- Thaw freezer and allow to dry well in advance of the move
- Disconnect all appliances and electronics
- Dispose of hazardous waste
- Reserve piano tuning or furniture refinishing until after your move
- Complete valued inventory for transit protection
- Submit customs forms including photocopy of passport/visa and vehicle documents
- Provide your new contact details to AMJ Campbell International
Helpful tips for Moving Day
- Plan your day(s) so that you are at your residence throughout the packing and loading.
- Children and pets may be uncomfortable with the disruption at home and are oftentimes happier elsewhere.
- Let the crew know if certain items should be dismantled or packed last (i.e., beds if you are staying overnight). Ensure towels used on your last day are thoroughly dried (and not forgotten in the dryer) before being packed.
- The movers will number each piece and prepare a packing list for each component of your move. It is your responsibility to review this thoroughly to ensure the right articles are included in the correct shipment. A copy will be provided which requires your signature.
- A vehicle condition report will be prepared noting existing damage and the odometer reading. This must be signed by you and a copy will be provided.
- Before the movers leave, take one last sweep through the house to make sure nothing has been left behind. Check all rooms, closets, the attic, the basement and cupboards. It is important to remember that any items left at the old residence are not insured under our policy.
Helpful tips for Delivery Day
- The most important aspect of the delivery is to ensure all goods are received.
- As the items are carried into your new house, check them off on your copy of the packing list noting which cartons were unpacked by the mover.
- Missing or damaged items should be clearly noted on the delivery documents and signed by you and the crew foreman. This is critical should a claim be submitted.
- If you are taking possession of a vehicle, inspect it car carefully and note any change in the condition on the delivery documents at the time of delivery.
Why is Transit Protection needed?
Despite our very best efforts to protect your belongings in every possible way, there are inherent risks when shipping overseas. We are at the ready to help you select the right transit protection coverage to further safeguard your belongings against an unforeseeable event.
How is Coverage Arranged?
Assigning a value to the belongings you intend to ship or store is your first step. We have an easy to use form if you would like to use it and all of the details are outlined in our free Planning Guide. We have several options and will spend time detailing these so you can select what is best for you.
- Consider the replacement cost at destination for best protection. Vehicles are different and should reflect the “blue book” or market value.
- Under-insuring items can result in a reduced or pro-rated reimbursement by the insurance company in the event of a claim.
- High valued items (anything in excess of $5,000) may need a statement of value such as an appraisal or purchase invoice.
Check our Transit Protection Info Sheet for more details.
An integral part of our service includes providing up-to-date customs information so you know what to ship and the process involved. Typically, your shipment will undergo an export protocol for the country you are leaving and we will take care of those details for you. In all cases, customs clearance is required when your shipment arrives at destination.
The customs documentation requirements are ever-changing and accuracy is critical to ensuring the smooth transition of your belongings from one country to another.
This is an important part of your move which can not be left to chance and your AMJ Campbell International move consultant is the best expert to guide you.
Any dangerous goods such as propane tanks, paint, thinner, matches, aerosol cans, fire extinguishers, nail polish remover, restricted items halt fertilizer, many cleaning products or any other corrosive, explosive or flammable material must not be included in any shipment.
Please ask us about shipping food, even dry goods, alcohol, dried flowers, animal products, items for commercial use, weapons (even ornamental), vehicles or firearms.
Shipping prohibited items can result in the cancellation of the insurance cover, the seizure of the entire shipment, costly delays, fines or worse.
Your treasures, schedule, budget and concerns are unique. Our strength is knowing how to coordinate your needs, anticipate changes, keep you informed and reduce the natural stress around moving. Tailoring a shipping schedule that makes sense for you is an important part of our service.
As an example, if your goods will be shipped in a sea container, most steamship lines offer a weekly departure from Canada. Though we’ll need to add some time to get your belongings packed and delivered to the shipping terminal and then cleared through customs and delivered at destination, here are some typical transit times from Toronto, Canada:
Air shipments are much faster and typically take 8 – 12 days.
Customs clearance formalities will take place after the shipment has arrived. The timing is different in each country and we will be sure to clarify this information based on current timelines as well as your immigration status at destination.
If you are shipping your belongings to the UK, you may be interested in AMJ Campbell’s consolidation program. This can be a cost-effective method of transporting your goods when you are not in a hurry to receive your goods. We look forward to telling you more!